Sunday, February 3, 2013

A typical day at my job.

     For my second post, I thought I'd tell you all about what my job actually entails. My official job title is "front desk receptionist", although that label is incredibly deceiving. When people think of a receptionist, they tend to envision someone sitting in a cushioned chair behind a computer-topped desk, answering phones and greeting clients all day. I suppose this isn't entirely inaccurate for some receptionists, but it's definitely not what I do (or not all of it, anyway).
     When I had my first interview (more on getting the job here), I was told right away what was to be expected of me, so I wasn't picturing this job to resemble the example I described above. This was fine by me, as I have tried the whole "office job" deal, and it is definitely not for me. I like to move around and have the freedom to change tasks frequently, not be chained down to a desk all day. So, this gig turned out to really work in my favor due to my activity level and preferences.
     First things first. I do answer phones, and I do make/cancel/reschedule appointments. I also greet customers. However, it's all a bit more challenging than people would think, especially at the beginning before you know what you're doing. I am also responsible for cleaning the entire shop, breaking down and setting up stations, cleaing, helping the artists with anything they might need, cleaning, helping clients with anything they might need, cleaning, oh and did I mention cleaning? A clean shop is a happy shop...which is how it should be! Who wants to get tattooed at a dirty, gross shop? Nobody, I hope. More info on finding a good, clean shop later. But for now, I'll leave you with a typical outline of my day at the shop:

Opening Shift
15 min before shift- I get to work and get everything ready for the day. On go the lights, fans, air conditioning (so people don't pass out!), various office equipment and displays, the register...you get the idea. If I see on the computer that an artist (or two or more!) have appointments set for right when we open, I have to set up stations and equipment for that, too. If I'm lucky, my coworkers will help me out if they see me struggling or if I ask...but I don't like to count on that, because I've gotten fast over the years and can usually handle it all myself.

Noon- We're open! I flip the sign to "open" and open up the curtains. At this time I'll also inform the artists of the status of their clients (whether they have confirmed for their appointment or not).

During the next hour- I'll set up the artists for their appointments that typically start at one. A station that is ready for an artist consists of covering literally everything that the artist and the client will be touching during the tattoo. This means all bottles, knobs, lamp handles, armrests, pillows, everything! I even set out little baggies that they put their machines in, so those are covered, too. Not only is it the law to make sure everything is covered up for each client by disposable coverings, but it's just the right thing to do. Everything is single-use, just for the client...and the things that must be reused (tables, chairs, tattoo machines, tubes, etc.) are all either sterilized in our monthly spore-tested autoclave or disinfected by hospital-grade spray. During this time, I MUST be listening to the phone and the door. If the phone rings, I have to be prepared to handle whatever the call entails. Sometimes it's just a rescheduling of an appointment. Other times it's inquiries about piercings or tattoos. A good shop girl must be very well-versed in everything the shop offers, because it doesn't look good for the shop if the person answering the phones can't answer the questions a client is asking. By watching the door, I mean I must constantly be watching the door for clients walking in. This is important. Have you ever walked into a tattoo shop, just to not be greeted? You probably walk around, trying to find someone, and end up sitting down in a chair, defeated and feeling silly. I've done it, and it sucks. What I love about my shop is that you won't ever get that experience...someone will ALWAYS be there to greet you and help you out. Sometimes the people walking through the door are just people who have appointments (and I need to make sure they have the proper paperwork filled out, complete with ID). Other times, it's people asking about getting walk-in tattoos. In this case, I must figure out what they want, get them an available artist, and set them up a station to get tattooed at. Basically what I'm saying is...multitasking is key, and more often than not I find myself dividing my time between multiple activities at once to make sure the shop runs smoothly.

One- With luck, all of the appointments have shown up on time, and the artists are ready to tattoo them. Woo hoo! I'm no longer running around setting things up, but my ears are still ready to listen for an artist asking me for a pillow, a new rinse cup, or whatever else they might find they need during the course of the tattoo. Obviously, I'm also ready to greet a customer who might walk in or answer the phone, should it ring.

During the next two hours, approximately- Now is the time to call the following days' appointments, to see if they are coming in or not. Sometimes there are only a few appointments for the next day; sometimes there are a lot. We have eight artists total, and although they aren't all on shift all the time together, it can get busy, particularly on the weekends. Not all shops offer the confirmation call, but we find that our clients like it. Sometimes I catch people who didn't realize their appointment was the next day, so it's a good service just to remind them. Once I'm done with that, I start cleaning the shop. I have various chores, such as washing windows, cleaning mirrors, cutting paper towels for artists, cleaning doorknobs, cleaning and stocking the bathroom, dusting...I could go on and on. Some people might find these things to be "busy work", but as I stated before, a clean shop is a happy shop. Having the shop presentable to clients is so important, and has a big impact on people as to whether or not they'll choose to get tattooed at our shop. At this time I've also set up the lunch tables so the guys have somewhere to eat. Of course, I'm always watching the front door and the phone.

Three- Most of the appointments from the early afternoon are done by now. I have to be available to talk to clients and make them future appointments. I also handle all of the payments for tattoos, and deal with it accordingly. The guys will usually eat now, but I stay up front cleaning and doing chores, ready to assist anyone who calls or walks in. I'll note that the walk-in rotation must be dealt with carefully, so all of the artists have a fair chance at making some money for the day. I'll also break down all of the stations at this time. Breaking down consists of the exact opposite of setting up...I take all of the used coverings and throw them away. I also disassemble the tattoo machines. Oh, and I'll note this right now...needles and razors (for shaving off hair in the area of the tattoo) are of course all single-use, and they are disposed of in sharps bins. Once everything is disposed of properly, I clean the stuff that can't be thrown away or autoclaved with our medical-grade disinfectant. I then set the stations back up again, because four o'clock means...

Four- The artists are done with lunch, and with luck, have started tattooing their four o'clock appointments. As always, I'm listening for the door, phone, and artists that might need me...but now I'm back to cleaning. Cleaning the sinks, cleaning the floor, cleaning the chairs and tables not in use...I'll also pick up the lunch room.

Five- I'm off! I inform the shop girl who is working after me of anything she might need to know (this client is coming in later, there may be two girls coming in later as walk-ins, whatever) and I leave.

This is just a basic idea of what I do during a tattoo shop shift. Of course, if I'm closing, it's a bit different, but the idea is still there. Overall, this job is exciting and has a lot of variety. I enjoy the interaction I get to have with people, and I like that I can show off my tattoos, rather than cover them up as I had to do during my office job days. It can definitely get stressful, and multitasking is a must. I also have to deal with some crazy clients sometimes, and it can be challenging to help them without losing my cool. You might see some of these stories with posts to come...luckily, my shop is pretty classy and professional, but occasionally there will be an odd duck who will come in and try to cause havoc.

Thanks for reading!

23 comments:

Unknown said...

Thinking of applying to tattoo shops for reception jobs here in Dublin. Great insight to what goes on each day! Have a better knowledge now before I apply.

Thanks,
Darryl :)

Miranda said...

Thank you, enjoyed the read! I'm about to become a "shop girl" and this really helps a whole lot!

Unknown said...

Thanks for reading, Darryl! Glad you enjoyed the post :)

Ana said...

Hi, thanks for the great post :)
Just wondering how you came across this job & what the best way to go about finding any vacancies for a shop girl would be!
Cheers
Ana

Unknown said...

Good luck with your job, Miranda, and I'm glad you enjoyed the post!

Unknown said...

Hi, Ana, thanks for reading! I recently wrote a blog post about this very topic, you check it out here!

Unknown said...

Hey did u need like a certificate or something and like do u have to go somewhere for like some type of school im 17 and I am in love with tats Im nit good enough to draw and im really organized so I thought I could work and a receptionist but I want to know where would u recommend me to get like a certificate and wat classes did u take or wat .. srry for all the questions but I really want to know .. thnx

Unknown said...

Hey there, Unknown! Sorry for the horrendous delay on my part. I've seriously been slacking. Never apologize for questions, my friend, that is how we learn! So you want my job, huh? Well, I wrote up a pretty neat article outlining my best approaches on how to get it here. As for certifications, it wouldn't hurt to get yourself trained on bloodborne pathogens and needlestick prevention. You can google this and find trainings in your area. Personally, I had a bit of medical training before I started at the shop, which impressed the boss man because he figured this meant that I had cross contamination training (he was right, I did, and it was helpful, but not at all mandatory because I could have learned all of this on the job at the shop anyway). If you really wanted to be impressive, you could take some art appreciation classes, but you can honestly do this in the privacy and convenience of your own home. Basically, just show up and have a passion for the art. That, along with a great attitude, will get you far. Good luck!

Gaby said...

This is so helpful! Thanks!

tattoojerry said...

Awesome

Unknown said...

Thanks for reading, tattoojerry!

Unknown said...

Thanks for the crash course, but would you mind giving me a rundown of how you would close the shop. Being that im fairly new to working as a shop boy.

Unknown said...

Wow, comments weren't working for awhile...sorry about that!

Unknown, thanks for reading! Closing is pretty much the same thing as opening, except in reverse. When I catch some time, I'll update this post with more detail.

Gaby, thanks for reading and glad you enjoyed!

Unknown said...

Love Love Love this!! Interviewing this weekend for same type of position. It would be my dream job!!

Unknown said...

Hallo Nikki,
I would like to say thank you for sharing all of these. Next week i get interviewing to be a Shop Assistants in Tattoo Studio. And your post are really help me and be ready. I have question, what should not do as a Shop Assistant ? or how to make clients get good deal with ? is it also doing marketing the tattoo shop ? Sorry for many question. Thank you:)

Unknown said...

Thank u so much nikki for this article really helped alot question doll how much does a shopgirl get paid is it descent pay?

Unknown said...

Thanks for reading, Unknown! To be honest, my experience has been pretty on par with any other retail type job around my area. So...depends what you think is "decent", haha.

De Campo said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
De Campo said...

Thanks so much for this post!

I'm about to start as a Shop Manager and have all sorts of work experience in so many different careers and jobs (from HR executive to a bartender!) so this gives me some great ideas of where to start - it's a new shop too so all policy and procedures will be set up by myself.

If you can think of any good sites to check out, let me know, and thanks again!

Mel said...

How do I find good shop help , lol someone like you!

Mel said...

How do I find good shop help, someone like you! Lol

Mel said...

How do I find good shop help, someone like you! Lol

Mel said...

How do I find good shop help, someone like you! Lol