Tuesday, January 3, 2017

What to Wear to the Job Interview

Although I've been neglecting my blog a bit due to my main job taking up my time, (I just got my first 9-5 "big girl" job, woo hoo!) I still continue to receive emails from you lovely readers. Seriously, you guys rock.

One question I've been getting lately is what on EARTH do I wear to a job interview for a tattoo shop receptionist gig? This is a fantastic question. I can recall back to when I got my first interview and I was FREAKING OUT over what to wear. I mean, it's a tattoo shop, so it's a casual environment, but I also want to dress to impress...what do I do? At the time, I even went onto some tattoo forums to ask some artists to chime in with their opinions.

I recently asked my boss this question, as well as some of my artists. They all said that what I wore was PERFECT. I wore dress slacks, some black flats, and a nice silky dressy-type shirt. Basically,  business casual. This works out great because you are showing that you aren't trying TOO hard (I mean, come on, it's a tattoo shop...you don't need to wear a suit!), but at the same time you are a little more dressed up than usual, showing that you're a serious professional who is a contender for this job.

A few years after I got hired, we had a sudden need for another front desk person to be hired (As much as I'd like to be, I can't be at the shop all the time). It was exciting for me to see because I got to greet all of the potential candidates. Oh, to be new and nervous again! I remembered it well and tried my best to reassure each candidate that the interview would be really mellow. Anyway, I saw it all...suits, ties, blazers, you name it...as well as JEANS, SPAGHETTI STRAP TANK TOPS, SANDALS, DIRTY SNEAKERS...as well as everything in between. Think of it this way- you don't want to stick out in one direction, fancy or casual, too much. Think middle of the road!

A side note to all of this is hair and makeup. Again, I went real business casual with this- I wore makeup, but not a TON of crazy glitter eyeliner, bright neon lipstick, or anything like that...it was very natural. My hair had purple streaks, but I wore it straight and clipped back. I've gotten asked about showing tattoos, piercings, and crazy hair to interviews. Think about it- this is an industry where artistry of all forms is accepted, for the most part (sure, you might find a jerk here or there, but that's in any industry). If you have a crazy hair color, don't try to hide it...just rock it! If you're that worried about it, you could definitely style it in a more subdued way (low bun or ponytail, slicked back, etc.). When it comes to tattoos, oh my goodness don't be afraid to show those, that's what we are all about. Piercings, it's the same thing, except I might hold off on wearing your 00g septum ring...maybe try a retainer or jewelry that is a little less IN YOUR FACE for the interview. Unless that's your thing, then well, rock on, brother/sister. I only mention this last note because the boss man told me that it was his personal preferences to see candidates who chose jewelry that wasn't distracting for the interview. He also did note that upon being hired, YES, OF COURSE, ROCK THAT FACE METAL, friend!

I hope this is helpful. Have a great new year, folks!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Nice article you have been posted, It's very informative and helpful. Thanks for sharing it.tattoo shop

Unknown said...

Do you not work at the shop anymore?

Unknown said...

I still do, but just not nearly as much because I have another job that is full time now.

John Christman said...

Thanks for sharing. Great post very Informative, also checkout Intuition Tattoo and Piercing